APPLYING FOR A CONCEALED PISTOL LICENSE IN CALHOUN COUNTY
New Effective December 1, 2015 - Elimination of local Gun Boards
- An applicant must take a state required training class (See list of Certified Trainers below)
- Obtain a CPL application at the County Clerk’s office, at 315 W. Green Street, Marshall, MI, local police agencies, or on-line at www.michigan.gov/msp
- Applicant must file their application in the County where they reside and must be a resident of that County for at least six months. Calhoun County applicants must apply at the County Clerk’s office, Marshall, MI. Office hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- At the time of application you will need:
- A certificate from your training class. The certificate must include State required language.
- A current picture identification: a Michigan Driver’s License or State Identification which shows your local address.
- An application fee of $100.00. You may pay the application fee in the form of cash, check, charge or debit card. We accept Visa or MasterCard.
- We will direct you to the Calhoun County Sheriff's Department or law enforcement agency of your choice for fingerprints. There is a $15.00 Fingerprint Fee payable to the law enforcement agency. As a new applicant, you will always be required to have your fingerprints taken, even if you have had prints taken for another reason.
- The sooner you are fingerprinted, the shorter the time is for the CPL to be processed.
- After the completed application and fingerprints have been electronically transferred to Michigan State Police, they will perform a background check and respond to the County Clerk with a Qualified or Disqualified message.
- The County Clerk will send out an Approval Letter with each Concealed Pistol License or a Disqualification Letter which identifies the disqualification reason, the disqualification source and the source's contact information.
- You may appeal the Notice of Disqualification to the Calhoun County Circuit Court, 161 East Michigan Avenue, Battle Creek, Michigan. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. The telephone number is 269-969-6518. There is a substantial Circuit Court Appeal Filing Fee.
- Appeal forms were provided with your CPL application or they may be obtained at the Calhoun County Circuit Court Clerk's office or online at www.michigan.gov/msp (form #CC 79 Claim of Appeal)
- The County Clerk has 45 days from the date of fingerprints to send an Approval or Disqualification Letter for a new application and 30 days for a renewal application.
- If the applicant fails to get fingerprinted within 45 days, the application is automatically withdrawn.
- Applicants may only submit an application once during a calendar year.
Concealed Pistol License
Explanation of $100.00 Fee (New) plus $15.00 Fingerprint Fee
Calhoun County Clerk receives $ 26.00
Michigan State Police receive $ 74.00
Explanation of $115.00 Fee (Renewals)
Calhoun County Clerk receives $ 36.00
Michigan State Police receive $ 79.00
Southside Sportsman Club
539 Capital Avenue SW
Battle Creek, MI 49015
Centerline of Calhoun County
23100 13 Mile Road
Bellevue, MI 49021
Family Shooter’s Coral, Inc.
4516 Bellevue Hwy.
Eaton Rapids, MI
Battle Creek Sportsman Club
Jack Cox – Telephone: 269.963.4831
Douglas White – Telephone: 269.962.6762
Tim Bryant – Telephone: 269.420.0390
Steven M. Cornelius
Calhoun: “Have Guns – will Travel to Teach”